Monday 1 August 2011

Elbows, hamstrings & flies - the joys of training for the Rivers Ride

Last week’s press-ups, sit ups and cycling up steep hills combo with Barry, Andy and Iona resulted in what I can only describe as the most painful elbows I’ve had in my life (and that’s including some particularly sore arms when I was playing amateur rugby league) Thanks go to my son Tom who helped me dry my back and button my shirts for work for a couple of days. He wasn’t happy about the back drying bit but I explained it was good practise for when he’s looking after me full time in a few years.

In terms of this weeks pain update I appear to have a hamstring pull which is causing a little bit of difficulty as I sit at a desk for most of the day. I’ve cycled home to Workington from Westlakes a few times this week which was very pleasant due to the weather. Last night I had a quarter mile race-off with a Jack Russell at Distington which I won but only just. Charlie-eeeeeeeeeeee! (his owner had a great set of lungs) was a hell of a sprinter but I think he was only playing with me as he stopped for a wee half way through and still caught me up.

I know that my current protein intake is more than sufficient as I’m swallowing a couple of hundred flies per night. In terms of size the flies appear to be bigger the closer you get to Workington. I wonder why that is? This weeks business idea – fly paper strips dangling from the front of your cycle helmet may stop the Workington midges knocking your teeth out? Maybe not. I’ll keep trying….

Gary McKeating

No comments:

Post a Comment