Monday 20 June 2011

The loneliness of the long distance chubster


The loneliness of the long distance chubster.


You know the problem with cycling in West Cumbria? The lack of a roof and windscreen wipers. My training this week has gone OK but the weather has been against me. Wearing glasses in the rain and the state of the roads combines to make cycling here in West Cumbria a perilous activity. If you can’t see the craters until you hit them…….


I’ve got a good few miles in cycling to my parents in Workington, complaining about my backside then setting off back to High Harrington again. The hill from Low Harrington to High Harrington is a good one for getting the heart rate up. However, I’ve found that since I last cycled in anger my lungs must have shrunk considerably and are no longer fit for purpose for a man of my comfortable build. Currently I think that a pigeon would be disappointed with their capacity. Hopefully that will improve over the next few weeks.


My new found regime has me generating questions that my personal trainer can hopefully help with: rather than an energy bar and a litre of water which can be a bit tasteless, can I replace it with a kebab and Vimto?


The exercise regime that Barry Johnson has given us is going well. As I lie in the sitting room doing planks and static press ups it also has the added benefit of cheering the wife and kids up. Who needs the Sky Comedy Channel?

No comments:

Post a Comment